Let’s break down NCCI workers comp class code 9014
NCCI class code 9014, like most workers comp class codes, includes many different operations. NCCI stand for the National Council on Compensation Insurance. It is the main governing body for workers comp codes. These classification codes generally include a variety of operations. The classification manual from NCCI is written to include specific operations. Over time, additional operations are added to each individual classification code.
Commercial janitorial services is the primary operation contemplated by NCCI class code 9014. Janitorial services are specifically defined as keeping a building clean. The businesses do this by routine dusting; mopping, vacuuming, waxing, or polishing floors. The janitorial businesses also empty trash; clean and wash interior walls; clean, sanitize, and deodorize restrooms. Office cleaning companies are the easiest operations to get insured (at the most favorable pricing). It is reasonably easy to get favorable workers comp insurance for commercial janitorial companies. Especially commercial janitorial companies that clean at retail and other light commercial spaces. It is difficult to get workers compensation insurance for commercial janitorial companies which specialize in cleaning at industrial settings. Industrial settings frequently lead to the business having to purchase coverage from the state’s assigned risk provider.
Favorable workers comp insurance is be more difficult to get for certain operations. For typical commercial janitorial companies, the NCCI class code 9014 allows for maintenance and minor repair work. Most insurance carriers will allow up to 10% of operations to fall into this arena. Floor waxing is another operation which underwriters consider. Some carriers allow as much as 25% of the business activity to be floor waxing. If it is this amount or less the carrier will still quote accounts. Power washing is disfavored, and most carriers will decline to quote companies offering power washing. Although it is an operation included in code 9014, at least if performed at ground level.
Code 9014 allows for residential cleaning if it is less than 50% of operations. A different NCCI class code is used for primarily cleaning companies. That code is 0917. However, the majority of workers comp carriers will decline any account which does any residential cleaning as it is a less controlled work environment. With that said, at least in some states, The Hartford will still quote commercial janitorial companies with some level of residential cleaning. Having several years in business is generally an eligibility requirement in this case.
Insurance carriers favor interior operations over exterior operations. A small amount of exterior operations can be allowed, but work from heights or power washing usually lead to declines from insurance carriers. NCCI class code 9014 allows for ground level window cleaning. Class code 9170 must be used for businesses that partake in any window washing above ground level. This is much more difficult to get quoted by insurance carriers.
Other operations which are included in NCCI workers comp code 9014 include:
- Some carriers will offer coverage to these businesses, but many will not. If there is any live animal trapping provided in services almost all of the insurance carriers will refuse to provide workers comp insurance.
- Chimney Cleaning
- This function is acceptable to most insurance carriers if the service is performed using the vacuum suction method at ground level. If the service includes work at heights for any employees, it becomes much more difficult to find a carrier who will quote workers comp coverage.
- Residential boiler cleaning
- This type of service frequently involves using vacuum suction equipment. Any work involving boilers is difficult to get quoted by nearly all insurance carriers.
- Swimming pool maintenance
- A few carriers will quote swimming pool maintenance companies. When the swimming pool maintenance company adds construction to their list of business operations, it becomes much more difficult to find a carrier willing to quote the business.
- Pet waste removal services
- Pet waste removal businesses need to have sufficient payroll to find many carriers willing to quote coverage. There is a small possibility to get this quoted by carriers on the voluntary market.
There are many different operations that can be included in NCCI class code 9014. Especially for purposes of workers comp.